I agree, most of the better known editors are bloated. I try to keep away
if I can, especially from tiny and ckeditor. I haven't used elrte before,
it seems a bit better. I have used jHtmlArea on a couple of projects with
success, but lately I prefer WYMeditor. The .js is about 120kb minified,
though, so still way bigger that jHtmlArea.

It's a strict XHTML WYSIWYM editor (not WYSIWYG, looks even better as far
as I'm concerned). It needs a bit of UI polishing, but it produces great
code. If anyone tries it out, I strongly suggest using the latest beta
releases or the code from the repo. Old stable releases are pretty stale.

https://github.com/wymeditor/wymeditor