Im looking for feedback on if this is poor practice

situation: i have an existing service that uses a sqlite3 database i was
asked to port to a webapp. Being semi-familiar with MVCs and web2py i
decided to give this a go. We have functions defined in python to return
the expected data already.the app itself has 18+ months worth of data

problem: reading up on the pdf manual (we written btw) it seems like using
a DAL i have to define every naunce of the current database. Also, there is
strong change of data type changing based on the description.

Is it bad practice just to import sqlite3 and call it a day ? Is there any
strong advantage to using a DAL ? or am i simply over thinking the problem ?

feed back would be appreciated