It really depends.

Querying and returning large datasets can become a huge bottleneck.
More than letting db server work on its own relations. If you use a
real RDBMS, it's designed to work on it.

Web2py doesn't create indexes. You have to make it manually. Making
so, RDBMS thanks you a lot and can be your close friend.

--
Vinicius Assef.