1.  The book, in chapter 9, describes many methods accessible as part
of the authorization system.

Thus:
The controller above exposes multiple actions:
http://.../[app]/default/user/register
http://.../[app]/default/user/login
http://.../[app]/default/user/logout
http://.../[app]/default/user/profile
http://.../[app]/default/user/change_password
http://.../[app]/default/user/verify_email
http://.../[app]/default/user/retrieve_username
http://.../[app]/default/user/request_reset
http://.../[app]/default/user/reset_password
http://.../[app]/default/user/impersonate
http://.../[app]/default/user/groups
http://.../[app]/default/user/not_authorized_password

This is all really useful.  But, in the text there is no mention of
"the controller above."  Which controller is it?  Indeed, the
scaffolding app only appears to contain a very simple user() function
in default.py.  The auth menu that is enabled in the scaffolding app
only offers access to:
login
register
lost password?

These are the essentials.  But, how do I get to the rest of the
functions?

2.  The book describes a specific way to invoke auth in a model for
the application:

from gluon.tools import Auth
auth = Auth(db, hmac_key=Auth.get_or_create_key())
auth.define_tables()

The welcome app and scaffolding app do indeed provide this.  Somewhere
along the line, I was following some documentation (can't remember
where now...) and I created an app which invokes auth in the model as:
from gluon.tools import *
auth = Auth(jodb)
auth.define_tables()

So, I don't have the hmac key.  How bad is this?  Let me guess:  the
passwords in the auth database are not being encrypted because there
is no encryption key.  When I go look at the raw table, the password
has certainly been hashed.  What key or salt is used when I have
specified (mis-specified, as the case may be) auth as I have?

Thanks.  Trying to use the manual and source code reference as much as
possible but sometimes asking is easier.

- Lewis