Anthony <abastardi@...> writes:

> The only built-in methods for searching (via the user interface) are
crud.search and SQLFORM.grid (and .smartgrid).

> def search_dogs():
>     form, records = crud.search(db.dog)
>     return dict(form=form, records=records)
>
> or
>
> def search_dogs():
>     return dict(form=SQLFORM.grid(db.dog))  # or
form=SQLFORM.smartgrid(db.dog) to access linked tables

> - update/edit the various attributes for the dog concerned
>

> Update forms are explained
here: http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/7#SQLFORM-and-insert/update/delete.
Just pass the record as the second argument to SQLFORM. Note, if you use
grid/smartgrid, this is all handled automatically.

Thanks Anthony,

I had tried SQLFORM.grid and did not get edit coming up... however your post
made me look again more carefully. I needed:

form=SQLFORM.grid(db.dog, user_signature=False)

and *then* the edit button appeared automatically, awesome!

Mark