One of my controllers need to go through a lot of records to provide a
meaningful answer -- as in, 60k records.

Just loading them from the database takes about 100ms
(db.executesql("select * from table order by id;")); Doing the same through
DAL takes over 6 seconds. I realize that the DAL does do a lot of
additional work, which in general is helpful -- but I can do without all
the parsing / Rows() generation for this.

What do people here think about adding a db.rawselect(...), which is a slim
rapper for db.executesql(db._select()) .... that wraps everything with a
named tuple? It solves most of the speed problem when it is needed, but
still maintains a lot of the features of the SQL DAL processing.