I've made the switch, but I was new to web2py and jqgrid when .smartgrid came out so it wasn't that tough for me. Happily, the result was that my boilerplate code is now about 10x less than it was with jqgrid. .smartgrid isn't perfect, but it works well and was easy to implement. And, I'm suspecting it will improve as time goes on without breaking backward compatibility.

    -Jim