in compileapp there is some weird logic:

        if not os.path.split(model)[0] in paths and c!='appadmin':
            continue
        elif compiled:
            code = read_pyc(model)
        elif is_gae:
            code = getcfs(model, model,
                          lambda: compile2(read_file(model), model))
        else:
            code = getcfs(model, model, None)

It was designed to cache compiled models. It was tested long ago when
GAE was behaving differently. Could this be the problem? What if you
remove the  elif is_gae clause?