On Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:27:44 AM UTC-5, Mchurch wrote:

> **{'%s%s' % (Keyword, n): checked})
> Anthony, can you explain it better? It's something that I would like
> to understand very well.

'%s%s' % (Keyword, n) is Python string formatting -- if Keyword is "hello"
and n is 5, it will produce the string "hello5". Now, suppose "checked" is
a boolean value equal to True -- then the above will produce the following
dictionary:

{hello5: True}

In Python, you can pass a dictionary to a function and precede it with **,
and that is equivalent to passing each item in the dictionary to the
function as a separate keyword argument. So,

update(**{hello5: True})

is equivalent to

update(hello5=True)

Of course, the "hello5" is generated dynamically, so we can't use the
latter syntax, but we can construct a dictionary with a dynamically
generated key, which enables us to use the former syntax.

Anthony