Thanks that worked.

My web2py process is starting with my logged in user. I did this to prevent
having to su all the time, and I can do git pull and changes from a single
user account.

Anyway with my setup you don't need: sudo -u user_name instead you just run:

python -c "from gluon.widget import console; console();"
python -c "from gluon.main import save_password;
save_password(raw_input('admin password: '),443)"