PS: by the way, your query is not what I suggested :P

assuming the example I posted, you are trying to do

durations =
db(db.periods>0).select(db.periods.id,duration,groupby=db.periods.task_id)

error here is db(db.periods>0) and not db(db.periods*.id*>0)

corrected this error, you have another one....

you can't group for something that is not in the select list nor having
something in the select list that is not in the groupby...
either

durations =
db(db.periods.id>0).select(db.periods.task_id,duration,groupby=db.periods.id)
#useless

or

durations =
db(db.periods.id>0).select(db.periods.task_id,duration,groupby=db.periods.task_id)

#right one!