On Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:09:25 PM UTC-4, Peter G. wrote:

> I'm using the auth.settengs.extra_fields to add an extra upload field for
> the user to upload an avatar, how can I add an IS_IMAGE validator to the
> upload field so that the user can't upload random files?

When you define the field, you can do:

Field('avatar', 'upload', requires=IS_IMAGE())

or after the tables have been defined:

db.auth_user.avatar.requires = IS_IMAGE()

> Also, how would I add an IS_ALPHANUMERIC to the built in First name and
> Last name form fields? Right now there are users registering with names
> like "!@#$%^~" and some such...

After the tables have been defined, you can do:

db.auth_user.first_name.requires.append(IS_ALPHANUMERIC())

That adds the validator to the existing IS_NOT_EMPTY validator.

However, I wouldn't use that validator for names because it doesn't allow
valid name characters such as spaces, hyphens, and apostrophes. Anyway, if
you prevent fake names with special characters, those users will just
create fake names with alphanumeric characters, so either way you don't
have a real name.

Anthony