Yes, response.js only works for requests for components (made via a
client-side call to web2py_ajax_page(), which is called when you use the
LOAD helper in the view). You might try something like this:

def index():
    if form.accepts(request.vars):
        js = SCRIPT('$(function() {$("#dialog-message").dialog({modal:
true});});', _type='text/javascript')
    else:
        js = ''
    return dict(form=form, js=js)

and then somewhere in your index.html view:

{{=js}}

Anthony