Try

url = URL('default', 'user', args='login', host=True, scheme=True)

That will construct a URL including the current host and the current scheme
(i.e., http or https).

More generally, the current host can be found in request.env.http_host, and
the current scheme in request.env.wsgi_url_scheme (request.is_https also
indicates whether the scheme is https or not). See
http://web2py.com/examples/simple_examples/status for more details about
the request and response objects.

Anthony