Funny ?   I've copied welcome's layout.html, and the whole welcome static
folder to my old app ( I hadn't modified them in my old app, except for
Paolo's files above).  I imagine others do this to get their existing basic
apps updated with the UI changes in trunk.  The jQuery selector
above '.nav>li>a' doesn't fire so I don't get the extra caret class or
data-toggle attribute in the Yellow "web2py" menu item's <a> tag .
 (Confirmed in chrome's Element viewer), and the auth menu item formats
don't match welcome's format.

Not a big issue as I know the welcome clone works properly,  but I cannot
fathom it, particularly annoying when trying to learn how the whole css /
js stuff hangs together.

P.S.  Are your changes above in trunk ?