It's not unusual to have a setup like this:

development box -> test box -> production box

The test box is a clone of the production box, as much as you can make it
so.  No reason why it couldn't be a virtual machine, but it has to be there
to prevent surprises due to different patch/version levels of the various
packages in the system.