For example, I have a layout.html with the standard {{include}} {{ include
footer.html}} etc.

The place where I have this XML element fall within the view that's
extending this layout. So no matter what, there should be a footer at the
very least. There's none. Even after the XML I have HTML within that view
that no longer exists in source. The new source just ends after the content
of blog.body like web2py no longer recognizes anything else.

That's why I added in the {{pass}} trying to force web2py to stop whatever
it is doing to ignore the rest of the HTML.

There is no </html> since the data being called inside the blog.body is
just a field from the db. I know I could have put a </html> in the field or
in the included view it's calling but I double checked after reading your
comment and there is none. All that html after the snippet is just like
Keyser Soze.