the first issue is solved by your suggestion, thank you. For the second I
still have problems:
I've created my application using 'welcome' application as template. So I
have  <meta charset="utf-8" /> in layout.html and @charset "UTF-8"; in
base.css.

The strange thing is that if I run the application locally on my WinVista
pc the accented characters are shown correctly in the browsser but on line
(hosted on webfaction) they are not (although I use the same browser). What
do I have to check?

Marco