Hello Maciej and others,

I am not a Webkit SVG developer, but a SVG developer and webkit user. I think it is important that SVG is turned on in Webkit. The main reason that SVG isn't widely used today is the fact that some major browsers don't support it. So please turn it on but disable experimental features.

Regarding 2) I also volunteer to do more testing. What is the timeframe for releasing webkit? When do you need the testing? I guess ASAP? There will also be more test cases in the upcoming SVG testsuite regarding the <use/> element.

Thank you for considering my feedback.

Andreas

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

Hi Everyone,

As part of our stabilization effort, SVG has been raised as an area of concern. Some of the newer SVG features have been sources of crashes, some of which could potentially be security issues (the ones that are buffer overruns).

Specifically, here are some of the risks we see from SVG in our current state:

* Non-security hole crashes in normal SVG content on the web - may affect user perception of quality, but SVG content is not yet very common.

* Security holes - potentially exploitable buffer overruns and such. These are really bad, because anyone that shipped an engine exposing these would be forced to issue high priority security updates as they get discovered. SVG content being relatively rare will not help

* Sites developing a dependency on WebKit-specific SVG bugs - we are not as worried about this, since there are a number of other SVG implementations out there, and Gecko at least has more market share.

To address these concerns, a few of us came up with a plan which I'd like to propose now for discussion. I would especially like to hear from WebKit SVG hackers on this.

1) Disable newer/experimental features (we'd probably guard these with a single SVG_EXPERIMENTAL_FEATURES ifdef)
  * SVGImage -- already disabled
* Animation -- not tested anywhere enough yet, and still noticably unstable * Filters -- still unstable, and can cause problems with buggy graphics drivers which take down the whole machine
  * Use -- untested/unstable
* foreignObject -- might have issues with html inside svg, particularly for hit testing, etc

2) Additional testing
* Fuzz-test for custom parsers - the biggest security risk is buffer overruns in some of the custom parsers, so we'd like to develop a fuzz-testing tool for attributes that trigger these, and fix resulting crashes. * XSS testing - SVG has many elements that reference external content, these should be tested for cross-site scripting risk.
  * Additional ad-hoc testing - we will need community help with this
* Look into generating new results for pixel tests and keep them passing, once experimental features are off on trunk.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Maciej

Andreas Neumann
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich
Wolfgang-Paulistrasse 15
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland

Phone: ++41-44-633 3031, Fax: ++41-44-633 1153
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/