For the most part, things seem to be working well, but one feature we
make use of heavily is the readyState==3 effect which is supported by
Firefox. We have read that this feature is unsupported by the WHATWG
spec, and that it will most likely not be implemented into Safari.

Where did you hear that? From code inspection, I see that XMLHttpRequest issues a "ready state change" of 3 every time it receives data. Can you point me to the relevant part of the WHATWG spec?

It appears WebKit is not setting the
responseText variable until the request has completed. Is there a way
to access this text prior to state 4?

From code inspection, I see that XMLHttpRequest updates responseText every time it receives data.

Perhaps you're seeing the results of slightly different networking implementations. For example, you might need to send data in larger chunks in order to convince the networking layer to flush its data up to the application level.

Geoff