On Jul 27, 2007, at 11:59 AM, Darin Adler wrote:

We were really following ICU's lead here -- ICU being another low level library not built on top of a framework like Qt or AppKit.

I do see that. In Qt, although we have lot's of the same functionality as ICU built in, we chose a different path and used unsigned short on all platforms (as it's 16bit on all platforms we support).

Yes, and Qt also has its own JavaScript engine.

I'd really like this API to be independent of the high level framework it's being used with, and I think it's unfortunate that Qt is now mentioned in the header. I'd prefer a different solution.

I haven't really thought about this one much but if there is to be an ifdef used in this file at all, it should ideally use a symbol that would be set when building a Qt-using application, not an internal platform define (even if this API isn't exported to Qt applications for now).