On 09/11/2007, at 07:45, Mike Hommey wrote:

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 06:26:48AM +1100, Mark Rowe wrote:

Yes. My email about the Subversion and Trac downtime hints at the reason for this change. git-svn made a somewhat poor design choice and stored the repository URL in every commit message, and relies on these URLs matching the one that is configured in .git/config. As we are changing SVN URLs we need to rebuild the git repository to match. This has the unfortunate
side-effect of changing the commit IDs throughout the history of the
repository. We hope to provide more information on how people can switch
to the new git repository once it is in place later this week.

Then you can keep your current git repo without any problem.

You just need to change the svn url and add noMetadata = true in [svn-remote]

From http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html:

svn-remote.<name>.noMetadata
  This gets rid of the git-svn-id: lines at the end of every commit.

If you lose your .git/svn/git-svn/.rev_db file, git-svn will not be able to rebuild it and you won't be able to fetch again, either. This is fine for one-shot imports.

This says that without the metadata there is no way to rebuild the git- svn metadata after cloning from git.webkit.org. This would prevent any direct use of git-svn with the cloned repositories.

Am I missing something?

- Mark