On 2008-07-02, at 10:54, Samuel Davis wrote:

Hi Mark,

While building WebKit with command-line in the Terminal, the output shows lots of compiler commands but there is nothing in it that I can identify as a compiler error. So I tried a creative approach to solving the problem by attempting to build JavaScriptCore.xcodeproj in XCode. The JavaScriptCore target built successfully without any errors. However, when I tried to build JavaScriptGlue.xcodeproj within XCode I had numerous errors (53) as apposed to a single Error when using the command-line. Perhaps this suggest that there is some inter-dependancies between the sub-projects (i.e. JavaScriptCore, JavaScriptGlue, WebCore and WebKit) when building WebKit, hence the reason for the build pearl script.

If you want to build from the Xcode UI you need to configure Xcode to use a shared build directory. Without this set, Xcode defaults to placing built products inside a "build" folder alongside the .xcodeproj file which means that the JavaScriptGlue and WebCore builds cannot see the newly-built JavaScriptCore, and so on.

Here is where the command that fails is first displayed the Terminal:

CopyStringsFile /Users/samueljd/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release/ JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/ InfoPlist.strings English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings mkdir /Users/samueljd/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release/ JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj
    cd /Users/samueljd/WebKit/JavaScriptGlue
/Developer/Library/Xcode/Plug-ins/CoreBuildTasks.xcplugin/ Contents/Resources/copystrings --validate --inputencoding UTF-16 -- outputencoding UTF-16 English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings --outdir / Users/samueljd/WebKit/WebKitBuild/Release/JavaScriptGlue.framework/ Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj

And this would be the error:

Usage: iconv [-c] [-s] [-f fromcode] [-t tocode] [file ...]
or:    iconv -l

A command displaying usage information is definitely not an expected part of the build process!

The only suggestion that I have as to why this command may be failing is if you have a non-standard version of iconv installed, either over the system copy in /usr/bin or earlier in your $PATH environment variable than the system one. You should double-check if that is the case. If it's not, you may need to make use of a tool such as ktrace, dtrace, or a clever shell script to determine what arguments are being passed to "iconv" that are making things unhappy.

- Mark