On Oct 17, 2008, at 4:58 PM, Peter Kasting wrote:

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 2:52 PM, David Hyatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It's important to recognize that if you flip the EOT switch, you're going to end up using EOT over TTF in many cases. In fact if IE *does* in end up skipping TTF files properly, the font you get in Chrome would actually depend on the specification order in the @font- face rule (you'd just end up randomly using EOT sometimes and TTF other times). You'd be the only vendor subject to this issue by supporting both formats.

Unless we can convince Microsoft to support TTF. Or other vendors end up supporting EOT. Or we write some crazy parser hack that prefers TTF over EOT when both are available (ugh).

It's not clear to me whether "support EOT to make it easier to gain marketshare in India and thus provide an alternative browser where authors can deploy TTF" is a better long-term bet for the success of TTF than "try to convince Microsoft to support TTF in IE".

Microsoft will never support TTF in IE (for HTML at least). Apparently it's ok for Silverlight but not for HTML.

I think it's worth thinking about how to get Web site compatibility in India without supporting EOT. See some of the discussion in the bug for ideas.