On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Drew Wilson <atwil...@google.com> wrote:

> To give the list some insight into the discussions we've had with the
> Chrome UX folks:
>
> 1) We want to associate some set of enhanced permissions with a given
> origin (e.g. https://mail.yahoo.com), and we want the user to be presented
> with a single "do you want to grant permissions to https://mail.yahoo.com";
> dialog, rather peppering the user with a bunch of individual permission
> dialogs for each feature ("Yes, please allow mail.yahoo.com to use 100MB
> of local storage", "Yes, allow mail.yahoo.com to display notifications",
> "Yes, allow mail.yahoo.com to run in the background").

It seems like a bad idea to give all or nothing trust, and not along the
lines of how APIs have managed choices in the past (quotas are increased
when the limit is hit).  I am not even sure how a UA would present such a
choice to a user in a meaningful manner.  I think a workflow such as the one
quoted above by Maciej is a good direction, that gives a user a better
chance of understanding the choice they are making.

> 2) We want the timing of the permission grant UI to be under application
> control (as part of some kind of application user flow). So just visiting
> mail.yahoo.com would not suddenly popup an unexpected dialog - instead the
> application would have some UI along the lines of "Turn on desktop
> notifications" which would drive some app-specific UI flow, a part of which
> would involve the permission grant.

Can you please elaborate on this, perhaps with a concrete example.

-Sam