On Jul 13, 2009, at 11:24 PM, Hieu Le Trung wrote:

Can we separate the tools from WebKit menu?

I don't think I understand this question. What is the "WebKit menu"?

I want to run them as a stand-alone and connect to existing WebKit instance.

Right now each Web Inspector window is tied to a particular WebView, and the Web Inspector and the WebView must be in the same process.

The Chrome guys have been doing some work on having the Inspector run in a separate process from the WebView, but we haven't adopted that in Apple's ports yet.

You can use the Inspector in any WebView in any application on OS X if you set the WebKitDeveloperExtrasEnabledPreferenceKey preference to YES. Here's how you'd do it for Safari:

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitDeveloperExtrasEnabledPreferenceKey YES

Just replace "com.apple.Safari" with the bundle ID of the application in question.

-Adam