Ian also said (and I agree with him) that experimental implementation is
needed. In fact if he added it to HTML5 already I'd be very surprised. For
example, the notifications were removed from HTML5 because it was not clear
to the point of writing the spec that they are even needed (as Ian said
also). A lot of HTML5 is there because there were Gears with real-life
experience. It's hard to see if any web mechanism will prove it viability
purely theoretically. So all we are trying to do is take the feedback from
app developers, produce a proposal, discuss it in the community to refine
it, produce implementation and see how it goes so it can be included into
HTML x at some point. It might not stand the test of time and not be
standardized at the end, or it might influence some other idea - who knows?
Nobody is 'pushing ahead' :-)
Dmitry