On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:55 AM, David Kilzer <ddkil...@webkit.org> wrote:
>> (2) Consider phasing in support for an alternate workflow where new
>> ChangeLog entries for the next commit are stored separately from the
>> versioned ChangeLog files -- perhaps in individual .changelog files
>> for Subversion users and in the commit message for Git users.

> I'm not a big fan of wrapper scripts, mostly because I'll probably forget
> about using them since I'm so used to using the basic git/svn commands.  (I
> guess svn-create-patch is a counter-argument to that, but I rarely use svn
> directly anymore.)
>
> Using .changelog-bugnum files should probably be optional if it's
> implemented, e.g., tools should still be smart enough (or at least as smart
> as they are today) to operate on ChangeLog files directly if developers
> choose to continue doing that.  I say that because once there is a git merge
> driver for ChangeLog files, the need for an alternative ChangeLog workflow
> drops to zero, at least for me.

I ran into an issue today where "git diff" didn't generate me a patch
with the ChangeLog portion in the standard format.  Namely, the
ChangeLog diff had non-empty leading context (which can happen since
it doesn't run fixChangeLogPatch like the svn-create-patch wrapper
script).  Is there a way to address this issue for Git users without
using wrapper scripts or a change to the ChangeLog workflow?

--Chris