On 23/2/10 14:15 , Evan Martin wrote:
On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Tor Arne Vestbø
<tor.arne.ves...@nokia.com>  wrote:
Lately we've been playing with the idea of using SVG fonts for the Qt port
to get the same set of expected results for qt-mac, qt-linux and qt-win, by
injecting new @font-face rules using a user-stylesheet and preventing
platform-fonts from being loaded, but this approach/hack has proven to be
quite fragile, and we will also miss out on those tests that actually test
font loading/rendering.

For Chromium on Linux, we try to insulate ourselves from the platform
settings by injecting a custom fontconfig file and font list that
makes things match Windows behavior.  (Matching Windows is important
because many sites will hardcode a pixel width on a div then fill it
with text and expect the text not to wrap.)

We do the same thing for the Qt DRT on Linux, but I was hoping to get something that would work for Windows and Mac OS X too, since we don't use FreeType on those platforms, etc. That's where the idea of using SVG fonts spawned, since if we force the Qt DRT to use the raster paint engine those SVG fonts should be rendered the same way regardless of platform.

But then we would have the problem of not being able to test actual font loading (without adding lots of exceptions) and the trick would not work for other ports, just the Qt port.

That's why I was playing with the idea of using hard-coded metrics for fonts and themes on a global basis in WebKit (if running under the DRT), and letting those tests that actually test font loading/rendering or theming override this using the layoutTestController.

Does that sound achievable/desirable at all? :)

tor arne