As a concrete example, I found this test setup helpful for this patch:
http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/58345.  A nice side effect was that it
revealed a bug in CodeGeneratorGObject.pm and let me fix it without having
to set up build setup for whatever it is that uses the GObject bindings.

I agree that golden file testing is a very high-maintenance fragile test
method, but it's better than nothing.  If this framework didn't exist then I
would have likely made the change and relied on spot checking and our
existing automated tests to catch any regressions which is less than ideal.

- James