On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Darin Adler <da...@apple.com> wrote:
> Not sure where to put these. A while ago people were talking about changes
> needed to webkit-patch. Here are some of the basics for me for one command,
> webkit-patch upload. When I use webkit-patch upload to create a patch in a
> tree where I have not yet written anything for change log, webkit-patch loads
> the change log files into an editor for me with prepared change log entries
> for me to edit. Here are the problems I have with that:
>
>    1) The script uses vi, but my preferred editor is Xcode. I have an
> environment variable, CHANGE_LOG_EDIT_APPLICATION, set to Xcode.

Thanks for the feedback.  Webkit-patch already respects the EDITOR
environment variable.  It should be a simple change to support the
CHANGE_LOG_EDIT_APPLICATION environment variable also.  The function
that needs to change is:

http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebKitTools/Scripts/webkitpy/common/system/user.py#L73

>    2) When it brings up the change logs in the editor, it does not show me a
> diff until after I am done editing them. I can’t write a good change log
> without having a diff to refer to.

Would opening the pretty-diff in a browser be sufficient here?  We can
reverse the order of showing the diff and editing the ChangeLog.  The
trade-off here is that you won't see the exact diff that the script
will upload to bugs.webkit.org.

Adam