git help config says:

"core.symlinks
If false, symbolic links are checked out as small plain files that
contain the link text. git-update-index(1) and git-add(1) will not
change the recorded type to regular file. Useful on filesystems like
FAT that do not support symbolic links.

The default is true, except git-clone(1) or git-init(1) will probe and
set core.symlinks false if appropriate when the repository is
created."

My vague recollection is that NTFS has a sort of symlink-like thing
but that they have the tendency to break stuff (e.g. virus scanners
get confused).