I am getting complaints from check-webkit-style in a bug regarding
PassRefPtr/RefPtr usage, and I can't figure out what I should be doing. It
yells at me no matter what I try.

The scenario I have is that a function is wanting to transfer ownership but
it's not doing it via a return value. Instead it is filling in a reference
parameter.

The current code looks like this:

Caller:

RefPtr<T> myLocal;
bool success = myFunc(myLocal);

With the function being:

bool myFunc(RefPtr<T>& result);

With this setup though, I get yelled at by the style checker and it tells me
that the parameter should be a PassRefPtr. However I don't get how I can do
that, since then I have:

PassRefPtr<T> myLocal;

and I get yelled at for making a PassRefPtr local variable.

What's the right way to write this code such that it will pass? Is this just a
flaw in the style checker? It sure seems like a RefPtr<T> reference parameter
should be allowed...

dave
(hy...@apple.com)