On 22/09/2011, at 11:30 AM, Dean Jackson wrote:

> Dirk (known in these parts as krit) reminded me that I had not emailed
> webkit-dev about the plans to start an implementation of W3C's new Filter
> Effects specification.
>
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/filters/publish/Filters.html
>
> The quick summary is that this exposes the 'filter' property from SVG to
> everything in CSS, and adds some shorthands for common effects so people
> don't have to write XML in order to do something like a blur or sepia effect.
> The spec has received a fair amount of input from the CSS and SVG working
> groups, and particularly from Apple, Google, Mozilla, Opera and Adobe.

A followup: we're going to start work on the CSS Shaders proposal [1] soon.
Adobe have published their implementation which was specific to Chromium, and
we'll be working with them to split it into small patches that can land in the
coming weeks. A good introduction to the technology is [2].

This will be done behind the ENABLE_CSS_FILTERS macro, but also with the guards
for ENABLE_WEBGL since the implementation (and security) requirements are so
similar.

Dean

[1] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/custom/index.html
[2] www.adobe.com/devnet/html5/articles/css-shaders.html