On 2012-04-12, at 14:28, Dirk Pranke <dpra...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2012 1:17 PM, "Mark Rowe" <mr...@apple.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 2012-04-12, at 12:08, Adam Treat <atr...@rim.com> wrote:
> >
> > > If my memory serves me the problem was that Apple couldn't figure out how
> > > to get cmake installed on the Apple build system machine.
> >
> > It has little to do with installing software and everything to do with the
> > complexity involved in making a new build system work within the
> > constraints of our production build process. In particular, each project
> > needs to be able to build independently from the others. That is, the
> > equivalent of "svn co
> > http://svn.webkit.org/repository/webkit/trunk/Source/WTF && make -C WTF"
> > needs to work. Based on what I can see of the existing structure of the
> > CMake build system this isn't possible as parts of the build system live in
> > the root of the repository or the Source directory.
> >

> Interesting.  Can you comment further on why this is needed, instead of just
> checking out the whole repo?

The short answer is that doing so would violate internal policies that we have
about what sorts of files are acceptable in the source of production builds
(for example, precompiled libraries are not acceptable). We also don't have any
desire to shuffle multiple gigabytes of layout tests around machines that are
only used for building.

- Mark