If it's a global switch that ports can't opt out of, then we have to do this at
a time when it wouldn't disrupt anyone's release cycle. Let's say
hypothetically a vendor was going to branch from trunk and ship in two weeks
(not actually the case for us, but just to make it an extreme example). It
would be insane for them to take this change. So we need one of the following:

(1) It needs to be compile-time switchable so that vendors who are close to
shipping can turn it on to mitigate risk without having to roll back to earlier
on trunk.
    OR
(2) We need up-front buy-in from all vendors who ship from the open source tree
that now is a reasonable time for them to make such a major change.

Regards,
Maciej