Thanks Chris,
I'll go bring it up on the relevant w3.org lists (I'm guessing I'll start on
public-HTML-comments) and see where that takes me, after refining my idea a bit
to use more conventional naming, and to hopefully account for other scales than
2x in an elegant manner.

I just wanted to make sure no one here told me "don't bother, we've got
superior solution x in the works", or "due to y, that's not gonna fly!"

Surely, 2x images can be implemented in a sane and efficient manner for web
developers.

-Tom