On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <m...@apple.com> wrote:

> On May 21, 2012, at 11:09 AM, Alexis Menard <alexis.men...@openbossa.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Let's try the new deprecation process documented as
>> http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/DeprecatingFeatures.
>>
>> I would like to propose the deprecation and removal of
>> getPropertyShorthand of CSSStyleDeclaration.
>>
>> State of art :
>> - This method is exposed to the Web.
>> - Its purpose is to get whether a given CSS property was set from
>> within a shorthand (i.e.
>> shouldBeEqualToString("test0.style.getPropertyShorthand('overflow-x')",
>> "overflow"); is true if the CSS code is setting the overflow and not
>> overflow-x).
>> - It is used in 4 layout tests (fast/inspector-support/style.html,
>> fast/css/font-shorthand.html, fast/css/overflow-property.html,
>> fast/backgrounds/repeat/resources/background-repeat-shorthand.js)
>> - It is exposed in the Objective C API.
>> - It is not implemented by any other vendors (Opera, Firefox, Internet
>> Explorer).
>> - There is no specification about it.
>> - It was added in 2005 http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/11481.
>
> [...]
>
>> This function was added by Dave Hyatt and reviewed by Maciej
>> Stachowiak, maybe you guys can tell us why you added it back then (if
>> your memory is very good as we are talking about 2005 material)?
>
> I don't know of any reason for this to exist other than for benefit of the
> inspector. It appears to no longer be used by the Web Inspector, thought it
> has its own function with the same name (assuming I am reading the code
> right). It would be fine to stop exposing it to the web if it is in fact
> unused or hardly used.

I was looking at the code of the inspector and also assuming I'm
reading the code right it is not used.

The C++ method getPropertyShorthand seems to be used in
InspectorStyleSheet.cpp which then is used in
inspector/front-end/CSSStyleModel.js and its usage seems to be
confined in styleTextWithShorthands which is not used anywhere (at at
least grep says so).

But Pavel and Vsevolod can confirm that.

--
Alexis Menard (darktears)
Software Engineer