On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Darin Adler <da...@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2012, at 7:33 PM, Mike Lawther wrote:
>
> > Does having the 'fast' directory still serve a useful purpose?
>
> Not sure it does.
>
> The original intent was to put more extensive complete tests that were
> slow but had greater coverage outside the “fast” directory, so that you
> could run the majority of the most useful tests in a few seconds.
>
> Times to run tests have increased so much, despite the parallel test
> runner, that it’s no longer a useful distinction.
>
> A new logical organization for tests would be welcome, and it’s a big
> project where I am not sure we have a clear enough plan to start on it
> incrementally. Here are a few considerations:
>
> - Moving test files around could cause some huge churn, with some
> super-slow check-outs for everyone working on the project and many old
> patches potentially needing to be rebased. This is especially true when
> image results are involved.
>
> - Each time we change the tests we need to make sure we haven’t broken new
> tests on various platforms and that we’ve updated the skipped or test
> expectations files properly.

If we could get more EWS bots running the tests (currently only Chromium
Linux does), that would make this a lot easier. It would also improve
general development on WebKit. Fewer cases of people being surprised by
broken layout tests when a patch gets committed.

One more item I'd add to this list:
-Replace js-test-post.js with an onload handler in js-test-pre.js so we can
get rid of that file entirely.