On Jun 15, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@webkit.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <m...@apple.com> wrote:
> I am not sure how to get the key points across without being accurate or
> misleading. A version that I think explains the complete design without
> saying anything false or misleading:
>
> refTheDocumentItselfButUnlikeTheRegularRefDontPreventTheDocumentsChildrenFromBeingRemovedToAvoidCyclesWhenRefingTheOwnerDocument
>
> To make a reasonable name we probably need to focus on one of these aspects.
> Perhaps one approach is to focus on when and why you should use this call,
> rather than what it does:
>
> refAsOwnerDocument() / m_refCountAsOwnerDocument (or m_ownerDocumentRefCount)
> refAvoidingCycles() (or cycleAvoidingRef()) / m_cycleAvoidingRefCount
>
> We probably need to qualify kinds of cycles we're avoiding: ones through
> descendents (or subtree); e.g. this doesn't avoid cycles with JSC/V8 objects.

That's one reason I like refAsOwnerDocument() slightly better. It tells you
when to use it, and when Node.cpp does m_document->refAsOwnerDocument(), it
will make sense in context.

However, if you wanted to make the other version more exactingly precise, you
could say something like refAvodingCyclesWithDescendents().

Regards,
Maciej