On 07/06/2012 02:18 PM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
I'd argue that we should still strive to make class names
self-explanatory as much as possible, and use comments as the last resort.

Fair enough. However, it's hard to come up with reasonably short and readable
names that are self-explanatory.  Yes, a good name is very helpful, and
can suggest the usage, but mostly if you already have a lot of context.

I've found that our culture of not adding comments have given me a
pressure to think really hard to come up with better class names rather
than going with vague names with explanatory comments. In some cases, it
made me realize that the particular object relationships I had in my
mind was not a good design and made me come up with a new design that
involved easier-to-understand classes.

Pressure to come up with good names isn't incompatible with comments ...
--
        --Per Bothner
per.both...@oracle.com   p...@bothner.com   http://per.bothner.com/