2012/8/13 Ilyes Gouta <ilyes.go...@gmail.com>

> Hi,

> that's actually: such as by *not* making that new API a mandatory
> stage in the decoding

> > I agree we should have a separate row-based downscaling phase.
>
> Resizing and filtering on a single row isn't enough. For a good
> quality and depending on the scaling ratio, we should maintain N rows,
> with N depends on the maximum downscaling or upscaling factor.

Maintaining N rows is an implementation detail of the scaler. I mean by
having a simple one-scanline-in, zero-or-more-scanlines-out interface, like
this:

scaler.setSourceSize(10, 10);
scaler.setDestSize(100, 100);
while (decoder.hasMoreScanines()) {
  scaler.supplyScanLine(decoder.nextScanine());
  while (scaler.hasMoreScanlines())
    memcpy(dest.nextOutputScanline(), scaler.nextScanline(), width * 4);
}

Then what algorithm to use and quality is up to the scaler implementation
to decide.

Alpha