On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <m...@apple.com> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2012, at 8:33 AM, Rik Cabanier <caban...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <m...@apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 13, 2012, at 4:43 PM, Rik Cabanier <caban...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Maciej,
>>
>> did this sound reasonable to you?
>>

>> Still doesn't make sense to me. Even if we don't implement CSS
>> 'alpha-compositing' and 'blend-mode' today, I assume we will want to
>> implement them eventually. At that point we will want them consistent with
>> Canvas. If the only reason to combine compositing operator and blend modes
>> is short-term ease of implementation on Mac, then that doesn't seem like a
>> great reason to make the Web platform permanently inconsistent.
>>
>> Would you object if Canvas combines blending and compositing but not CSS?
>>

>> Yes. I think they should be consistent and the relevant standards group
>> (FX Task Force?) should decide. It's not even very important to me which is
>> chosen. It just seems arbitrary that they would make different choices on
>> this, especially when it is all defined in the same spec.
>>

> Thanks Maciej!
> I will bring this up on the FX mailing list.
> Depending on the outcome, I will amend the compositing spec.
>

> Thanks, that would be much appreciated.

Hi Maciej,

I send the question to the fx list.
Tab Atkins brought up that we could extend the 'globalCompositeOperator' so
it also takes a comma separate list of a blend and a compositing operation.

Calling:

mycontext.globalCompositeOperator = 'multiply';

would be identical to:

mycontext.globalCompositeOperator = 'multiply, source-over';

This would make Canvas support blending and compositing and can be
implemented with no compatibility issues later.

Does this ease your concern about the difference between Canvas and CSS?