On Nov 29, 2012, at 6:19 PM, James Robinson <jam...@google.com> wrote:

> This is an interesting standards debate but as many people have noted it does
> not belong on the webkit-dev list, which is for coordinating the development
> of WebKit. Please take this over to whatwg@ or some other appropriate
> standards list.

I think it's valid to discuss here because this thread started as a request for
comments on a patch.

1. This patch is valid for consideration because there is already an extension
specification for HTML 5 that was approved for publish by consensus of the HTML
Accessibility Task Force.

2. My feedback to Steve was that I supported the addition but he should include
a layout test.

3. The patch discussion, however, was derailed IMO by misinformation about
assistive technologies and how they are used in conjunction with WebKit, so I
wanted a chance to contradict the misinformation at its source.

James