On Feb 11, 2013, at 2:13 PM, Brent Fulgham wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@webkit.org> wrote:
>> Asking people to ignore wx is basically the same as having the code outside
>> the tree. Having the code outside the tree would make this change effective
>> instead of having one more rule to the project.
>
> My big concern is not losing history while moving the wx files out of the
> tree and into a git branch, and also at the same time not losing the ability
> to merge the rest of trunk safely. Though I haven't investigated the process
> yet, so I don't know how easy or hard it may be.
>
> I kindly ask you to let us remove it from trunk in that case.
>
> Given that we have 400+ contributors, having a port that's only maintained by
> a single person on trunk imposes a significant maintenance burden on others
> even if you said that people can break Wx port because not everyone reads
> this thread and wouldn't necessarily know your intent.
>
> I would be sad if the WebKit project started to exclude ports simply because
> they were (largely) maintained by a single person. I do agree that it's not
> fair to other ports if the primary developer is not working to keep the port
> building, but life happens and sometimes a lone developer cannot stay on top
> of the rapidly-changing source base.
>
> Having these ports in the main tree is a good thing, in my opinion, because
> it helps avoid fragmentation, and often the refactoring required to enable
> these ports provides architectural benefits to the project as a whole.

FWIW, I think it'd be pretty simple to add a generic rule that if you want your
port to benefit from shared maintenance, you must set up a build bot on the
waterfall and/or an EWS bot. In fact, I personally think this ought to be a
rule regardless of what happens to the wx port, as IMHO it's pretty much a
pre-requisite for allowing people contributors on other ports to make changes
to your code safely.

Thanks,

Kevin