On Apr 12, 2013, at 4:09 PM, Karen Shaeffer <shaef...@neuralscape.com> wrote:

> Of course, I understand that. But there is a huge opportunity cost to webkit.
> The c++11 standard also rewrites the entire standard library. I have been
> using
> g++ 4.7.2 using -stdc++11 in my work with linux. And the code I have tested is
> performing nearly like c code. If you take advantage of the performance
> enhancements
> in C++11, then you can realize impressive performance gains.
>
> I do understand the nature of the business. And I also understand that
> performance
> is huge moving forward, where resource constrained mobile platforms are
> significantly
> affected by performance issues. I suggest you'll see Blink moving
> aggressively to
> support C++11 moving forward. And I suggest it is in WebKit's long term
> interest to
> do so as well.

As others have said, we are definitely eager to use C++11 across the board but
are limited by compiler support requirements.

One thing that it would be useful to know: what are the compilers and minimum
required versions used for in-tree ports? Perhaps we could record this so we
can regularly evaluate which features are safe to use and what the blockers are
to wholesale adoption, if any.

Regards,
Maciej