On 05.10.2013, at 19:13, Brent Fulgham wrote:

> The WinCairo port is as close to the AppleWin port as possible. It uses ICU
> and I have no intention of changing that.
>
> The WinCE port is maintained by Patrick Gangsterer. I believe that this port
> does not want to use ICU, preferring to use the limited subset of i18n
> features provided by the operating system.

That's correct, but I think that changing the current API to ICU and implement
some stub functions instead is a good idea.
Can we put the source code of this "dummy-ICU" somewhere into the tree?
See also the discussion about a reduced ICU at [1], but this would require a
big copy of the ICU code in the tree, which I don't see as a good idea.

> I have heard from a number of people, mainly using WebKit in resource
> constrained environments, who prefer to omit ICU due to its relatively large
> footprint. But many of their concerns about library size might be satisfied
> by rebuilding ICU with settings that omit the large encoding database. This
> makes sense if their use cases do not need these features.

If you use WebKit e.g. as a simple english-only GUI without text-input there is
no need for ICU, expect to compile the remaining code. So a "dummy-ICU" would
be everything you need for this use-case and reduces the required resources

> -Brent
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Oct 4, 2013, at 11:48 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschu...@adobe.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Oct 5, 2013, at 7:37 AM, Darin Adler <da...@apple.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on this? I am not sure what the status of the WinCE port is,
>>> but I’d like to hear from the maintainers of that port on the port status
>>> and their view on this strategy.
>>
>> Do you really mean WinCE or WinCairo? I thought that WinCE was discontinued
>> a long time ago and already removed. Probably I was wrong.
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Dirk

-- Patrick

[1] https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2013-June/025018.html