On Nov 6, 2013, at 4:26 PM, John Mellor <joh...@chromium.org> wrote:

> I've suggested before that the attributes could be combined if that's
> considered simpler. My only concern is that most developers aren't used to
> putting line breaks in html attributes, so might feel obliged to put all the
> alternatives on one line, harming readability. But as long as the developer
> documentation encourages line breaks, that could be fine...

As I replied before, there should only be one attribute — srcset. Given that
your micro format extends around parts of the existing micro format of srcset,
it just makes sense to reuse the same attribute. Wishing srcset didn't exist
doesn't make it go away. Tweaking it is more approachable and should get better
support from the WebKit community and likely other venders who are now stalled
because of this proposal. Especially since the current viewport syntax in
srcset has little-to-no support or implementations. Also if srcset is the
attribute, the CSS function srcset() should support the same micro format.

Designing this proposal around code formatting is a non-issue in my opinion and
it surely didn't stop SVG from providing just one "d" attribute for <path>.
Following the your logic, it should be d-N. Sure, <path d="…"> is primarily
meant to be written by software. Though, as responsive designs get more
complex, people are going to rely on software to generate these src strings
too. I surely don't want to be micromanaging the intrinsic widths in a
<viewport-urls> set if I need to change the width and export again from
Photoshop. Some workflow tool is likely going to generate these and having them
in one attribute makes them infinitely easier for a script to manage. (And
easier for humans too if things need reordered, as I mentioned earlier.)

— Timothy Hatcher