Sorry for all the confusion on this. Let me clarify the proposal:

I am not proposing dropping support for SVG fonts. I am proposing transcoding
SVG fonts on-the-fly, at page-load time, to OpenType fonts, then delivering the
OpenType fonts to the underlying platform (just as if the original page was
using a web OTF font in the first place).

100% of this work is platform-agnostic.

Once this converter is in place, it will mean that we can remove all of our
custom SVG-font-rendering code in WebCore (because the platform will be
responsible for drawing the text instead of WebCore), which would be a very
good thing for the many reasons listed earlier.

With this in mind, my original question should make more sense - are there any
ports who want support for SVG fonts but whose platforms don’t support
OpenType? It sounds like the GTK platform supports OTF, which means they are
likely okay with this proposal. mrobinson: is that correct?

Thanks,
Myles