On Mar 9, 2015, at 2:52 PM, Darin Adler <da...@apple.com> wrote:

>> On Mar 9, 2015, at 5:39 AM, Steven Coul (scoul) <sc...@cisco.com> wrote:
>>
>> Would [Conditional] use through out also not allow us to perform the IDL
>> compile without running the c preprocessor on each file?
>
> Possibly.
>
>> Can [Conditional] not be fixed to support multiple flags?
>
> It does support multiple flags.
>
>> The compiling of IDL is a significant portion of the total build time, and
>> ccache distcc et al cannot help us there.
>

> Worth doing the math to figure out how much of the time is the C preprocessor.
>
> — Darin

I’m really out of my depth on perl - but for a quick and dirty hack,  I
modified the preprocessor script to save the output, then copied the output
back over a clean source tree and tweaked a few other sources that are
generated. Then modified the preprocessor.pm script to just chomp() the new
files instead of spawn cpp.

The IDL processing time went from 139 seconds real time to 105. So getting
close to 1/4 the time is spent in the preprocessor for me. ( or more likely the
forking/exec’ing of the pre processor tool ).

This is a Ubuntu VMware install on a macbook pro.

I’ve no idea how to go about doing this properly and folding it into the
official build machine / build scripts.

Steve "Harry" Coul
sc...@cisco.com